Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gurune

Training is almost over, I am spending most of our time now studying language or just hanging out. I'm not worried about the language assessment tomorrow, I've been working with my trainer, Mark, for the past two months, and I think I have a pretty good basic understanding of Gurune. I can do greetings and personal introductions. I can ask and answer questions about location, directions, food, health, family, and time, somewhat. I even know a children's song. The tune is close to friere jacques.

in Gurune (Frafra):
N soh la n mma, (x2)
Ya gihire me? (x2)
Duusid la daane mam. (x2)
Vii, Voo, Vii (x2)

in English:
Father and Mother,
Are you sleeping?
Mosquitos are bothering me.
Vii, Voo, Vii (the sound of mosquitos)

It's fitting to the culture and the environment, and I think I'll sing it for the swearing in ceremony we have coming up to show everyone how much I've learned. You can all sing it too, and teach it to your children and your students! I'm specifically thinking of my friends and family members who work at day cares. Incedentally, mosquitos are not bothering me. I take my malaria prophylaxis medicine every week and sleep under a treated net, so don't worry!

Love,
Toby

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's 3pm same day, here in Stevens Point, as we read your blog posting...very cool to share your thoughts. I'm practicing the song! love, Mom and Dad.