Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Toby Update

I've been busy last couple of weeks. Here's the short version:


I traveled to Accra for the National VAC meeting. (Volunteer Advisory Committee) We met with Accra Staff and discussed lots of different issues from our regions. The meeting was pretty efficient and we got some things accomplished. People complained that the meeting went for 3 hours, but I don't know what they're talking about. I'm totally into 3 hour meetings if something actually happens at them. Co-op skillz! In Accra I ate pizza and a cheezeburger and really good indian food and drank and generally spent too much money. That's just how Accra is, it doesn't really seem like part of the Ghana that I know.

After Accra, I went to visit Kyle at his site because he lives close to the beach. We spent a few days swimming and being lazy at Adda Foah. Hung out with some Canadian nurses and Brits on gap year. Most other internationals I meet here are volunteering in some way or other. Often they have to pay to come to Ghana to volunteer, and usually it's for a few months at most. They are usually very impressed at what we do, it's a little more intense than their deal.
We call them voluntourists. I don't look down on them though, they're nice to talk to.

I traveled back north, stopped in Kumasi and smoked a hookah with some of the new omnibus crew, then got home. The last few days of the school term were uneventful except for some entertainment we had organized for the students. Football game, and then Jams! (school dance) I danced the night away with my students, only occasionally awkward. Now school is out and I'm on holiday, which is nice.

I traveled to Tamale for Easter, had mexican food and spoke spanish to the two latina pcvs that are here. That is cool, because I don't get to use the ol' espanol much. Ana is actually from Quito, Ecuador where I studied abroad, which is cool. She uses the Quito f when she speaks! We spent lots of time watching "I'm on a boat" and listening to Miley Cyrus, it was awesome. On easter sunday, we went swimming in a pool with actual chorine! And then played ultimate frisbee. It was great.

Next week some of my teacher friends are coming up to visit me and then we are going to Mole National Park to see an elephant. We may see two. It will be lots of fun fun fun.

Obviously I'm having a good time. dancing, spanish, chorine, frisbee, elephants, what more could I ask for?

Love,
-Toby

PS. A few new pictures on facebook too.

1 comment:

Dave Carrol said...

Been there back in 2000... actually i blogged about it recently.

http://bigearcreations.blogspot.com/2009/03/dude-that-was-really-cool-of-you.html

I miss Ghana... so I've quite enjoyed scanning your blog man.

Dave